Thursday, October 13, 2016

Future Job


            I like most others have no idea what my life is going to be like once I graduate. I believe that like myself, many others hope that they can find a good job and live independently, but there are many steps to get to that point. The major that I picked here at Illinois was Economics, and I chose to have a double minor in Statistics and Informatics so that I would stand out from the crowd. I picked these three things because when I left high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. In today’s job market you need a college degree and I knew that I had to go to college, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I looked back on my three favorite classes in high school which were AP Economics, AP Statistics and Computer programming and figured that if I enjoyed it then, I would enjoy it now, and I do. I had always heard the quote, “do what you love and you will never work a day in your life” and I believe that as this quote may be true, it is also very hard to get a well-paying job. With that being said the hardest part about finding a job is showing a company that you are unique, because for every one job opening there are over 100 people who want that job. That is why I try to make myself stand out from the pack by adding a double minor, being involved with on campus clubs, and working internships. I believe that all of these things will help me get a job, which in the grand scheme of things is only step one. I believe that these actions are helping me reduce income risk because I look at these actions as investments for my future. I would much rather have spent my time traveling than working last summer, and I would much rather be relaxing than studying during the school year, but all of these thing have a purpose in my life, and that is to help me get a job. In the grand scheme of things getting your first job out of college is only step one.
            I have two older brothers who have entered the work force and have been given a lot of advice from them. Mainly they told me that preparation and patience are the two most important things one can do. Preparing yourself for something will make it much easier. Though I am very good at improvising, putting in effort beforehand makes the process much easier. This came true to me last week when I had my first job interview. I researched the company before hand and had prepared questions and answers so that when the time for the interview came I felt way less pressure than I could have. They also told me that patience is the best way to stay sane. It took both of them a few months to find a job once they graduated, and they told me at points they felt hopeless. This was because there was always someone who was just a little more qualified than you, or you weren’t the right fit at the company, etc. But thankfully they both found jobs that they absolutely love. Also with patience they told me that moving out of the house was a big step, and not to rush into it. They both lived with my parents for about six months after they got their job so that they could build up a good credit line, save money and make the right move. They told me that it was very hard for them to not instantly move out and into the city because commuting every day was terrible, but they were glad that they waited.

            Since they are my brothers I took their words very seriously and try to apply those principals to my hunt for a job so that when the time comes I know that I can manage my situation well.

4 comments:

  1. Let's point out here that we are about 8 years since the start of the financial crisis. You face a much better labor market than then kids who graduated in 2009 and 2010. But it is not nearly as good as the market was in the late 1990s. You didn't say how much older your brothers are. But when they graduated matters for the experiences that they reported, although the general advice that you relayed seems pretty sound. Patience and preparation are both virtues.

    One thing that you didn't say that would be worth commenting on is whether your impression about interesting fields of student from high school carried over into college. When I first went to college I was going to study physics. I changed my mind about midway through the first semester. Math then seemed the thing for me but the following year I took some courses where I struggled. So I wonder whether you are still comfortable with your prior choices and if so, how that played out.

    There is also the question of whether to get an advanced degree or not and if you do that should it be in the major or in one of your minors. You don't necessarily have to do that right out of school, but it is the sort of thing to consider as qualifications for certain jobs. As you mentioned, the competition is fierce for many entry level positions. For some jobs, and advanced degree can allow you to leapfrog over many of your competitors.

    You mentioned not owning a car. It sounds like that will geographically limit your job search. Would you consider jobs outside the Chicago area at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for my two older brothers, one graduated college in 2004 and the other did in 2014 so my oldest brother had to face the crisis in the real world which i know was rough for him because some of his colleagues were laid off. i have still remained interested in my major and have been since i got here. i was scared at first that i wouldn't end up eve full making up my mind on a major and would like it but i am happy with the choice i made. i am not sure if i am going to get an advanced degree. i feel like that is going to be a choice that i will make once i get my undergraduate degree. i also have lived in the suburbs of chicago for nearly my whole life so i would be happy to move anywhere for a job because i want to travel.

      Delete
  2. Your post had some very valid and fair advice that I believe can be used when I start my job search once I have graduated law school.

    You pulled up the quote "do what you love and you will never work a day in your life”, would you rather be at a company you love making much less than a company you hate but make much more? Is there a trade-off anywhere, or a compromise? I plan to attend law school and specialize in International Business law and European law, while these specilization in law is not exactly the highest paying, I am ecstatic to one-day be able to work internationally as I love to travel. Although I might make more working for a large corporation in a major American city, I believe I would gain more by traveling and seeing the world and enjoying what I am doing rather than doing something just for the money. Would you ever consider working abroad? The job prospects can be quite attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the comment on obtaining your first job was very accurate. Since you are unsure of what would be the most ideal job, it is vital to gain professional experience that will enhance your skill set. Getting your foot in the door is the first step.

    I also believe that preparation is an invaluable skill. Especially in a work environment, having confidence in your preparation can never hurt when trying to make an impression. Which of your major/minor are you most interested in? Each of them can lead you down many career paths, but I believe the subject field you are most intrigued by will drive your job search.

    ReplyDelete